Saturday, August 16, 2008

Do people really think that healthy food is expensive


Do people really think that healthy food is expensive?
I asked a question last week involving the grocery shopping habits of overweight people. I got a lot of responses, both positive and negative, but nothing I did not expect. The only thing that surprised me is how many people mentioned that health food is expensive. I have seriously always viewed healthy food as cheaper than junk food. Yes, organic cereal and some produce is expensive. But things like eggs, bananas, potatoes, oatmeal, cheese, and milk are way cheaper than bags of chips, hotpockets, or fast food. What do others think? Is it cheaper to go grocery shopping and buy unhealthy food? Or is a cart full of healthy food cheaper? Because in college my cart was full of the healthy food that I listed above and I spent only about $30 on my weekly shopping trip, which was good because that was all that I could afford!
Diet & Fitness - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I shop only for heathy food and find it inexpensive because I make most of my meals from scratch. Unhealthy foods are more expensive and also drain you financially because of the extra health issues people get from consuming it daily(ie-obesity,diabetes,gut rot,diarrhea,Irritable Bowel.......)
2 :
Not only do they shop for "unhealthy" food they shop for convenience. If it can be thrown in the microwave instead of actually cooking they buy it.
3 :
You are so right. Healthy food is not expensive, compared to the price of JUNK food. And as one reader said, junk food if the choice of many people because just take it out of the pack, and throw it into the microwave! As another reader said about cooking, doesn't take a Chef to boil water for noodles or rice, grill up some chicken breast, and make a salad!
4 :
I understand what you mean, and the reverse is actually true. Citrus fruits with fibre and Vitamin C are great fruits that replace candy. Just realize that when you actually eat chocolate slowly and actually CHEW, it tastes like crap. But strawberrys and oranges replace your need for sugar filled treats. Lean meats, slowly sauteed with garlic and lemongrass and herbs are truly delicious. If you buy them at the health food store, then they will be more expensive. Hotpockets are actually really expensive for just one meal.... And they don't taste too good reheated. But yummy easy to make food is as easy as tossing in ingredients and mixing....They also are most of the time easy to make, and will keep your immunity high and disease at bay.



 Read more discussions :